Friday, March 12, 2010

i've decided i need to start writing more

I had an early morning meeting today. The A train is quite the convenient gem I rely on frequently. Know who else frequents the A train? The Mexican Mariachi Band. If you live on the west side you surely have been serenaded several times by these three gentlemen. How they manage to play their instruments, sing, AND remain standing while the train is in motion will remain a mystery. They chose to set up shop right in front of me and it took all my strength to not request "Wind Beneath My Wings." It was a noisy train and I hate having to repeat myself.

Following my meeting, I scheduled an audition. Unfortunately, my meeting ran over and had to reschedule the audition for later in the day. I was unhappy about this only because I already looked fantastic and I was not in the mood to recreate the look 3 hours later. After my "Real Housewives of NYC" catch-up, I refreshed and took another ride on the A train where I was blessed with the presence of a woman who chose the seat next to me to slurp her pear. You ask, "Can a pear be slurped?" Yes, yes it can. I can control my vocal disgusts. My facial expressions, however, have no restrictions. This woman could have been a contestant from American Gladiators but suffered a nervous breakdown post production and spends her time pummeling cheeky girls. Thank goodness she was sitting next to me. For my sake. If she saw my eyes roll, I fear I would have looked worse going into my audition.

Exiting the station, I realized the rain from earlier today had now posed a potential threat to my hair and skinny jeans. Not to mention the hellish winds roaring through the streets made it impossible to use my reliable $10 street vendor umbrella. I toughed it out in only a hood. I ran into a minor set back when a group of what I can only deem as high school tourist girls from Tennessee taking a break in front of a falafel truck blocking me with their "Coach" and "Louis Vuitton" umbrellas. Enter uncontrollable tiffed off look.

One block away from my destination and not a hair out of place.... You know, you see in the movies/television shows people who get swamped by the trucks who spray water. Heck, you may see it in real life and think, "Ha, that sucks!" but know you're too smart for it to ever happen to you.... Well, when it happened to me today, I had the reaction I had always imagined. Which was a "What the hell?!?" Nothing too fancy or over-the-top. I, however, never imagined the ever so chivalrous gent in front of me to give a shrug and "that sucks" face. God, I love New York.

I already have a good rapport with the casting director holding the audition as we spoke on the phone a few times beforehand. Walk in, apologize for rescheduling, blah blah...

"Karen, thank you so much for coming in today! Especially with the weather..."

"Yeahhhh, it's no problem! But I looked sooo much better early today..."

Commence laughter.

"No, but seriously..." (me)

We proceed to small talk. When did I move to NYC? What projects have I worked on recently? Where am I from? (which I HATE because coming from a military family there is no easy way to answer this question. I normally just say Texas because of college or Florida because that's where I most recently lived. Occasionally, I lie and say I'm from wherever they are (as long as it's east coast based because I'm more familiar). I must say I'm rather good at it.)

Overall, it was a great audition. I find out Tuesday if I was cast. I hate indulging on audition details. Makes me uncomfortable.

I forgot to bring my book with me for the train ride home. Luckily, there was one of those guys dressed up as a gold robot sitting across from me so I had something to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment